Welcome to the Art department
Over your time with us we aim for you to become highly engaged creative individuals by studying and responding to the world around you.
Within specialist art rooms you will be given a broad experience of Art & Design by looking at techniques and making processes including drawing, painting, sculpture, textiles, print making and collage. You will become adept in handling media such as acrylic paints, clay, oil pastels, inks, watercolour paints, wax crayon, fine liner, biro, chalk and charcoal. You will study both contemporary and historical artists and learn how to understand the context of their work and how it can inspire your own ideas.
What topics will I study in KS3? (Year 7, 8, 9)
- Still Life Project
- Cultural Project (studying cultures such as Indian, Islamic or Egyptian).
- Fantasy Landscapes
- The Best Of… Portraiture Project
- Natural Forms
- The Green Man: Gargoyles and Grotesques (a sculpting project)
- Kandinsky Music Project (learning to draw sound).
- Putting things in Perspective
- The Ugly Bug Ball (a sculpting and print-making project).
- Surrealism (a drawing project)
- Oriental Art
- War and Peace (a 2-Dimensional mixed media project).
Can I study this subject at KS4? (Year 10 & 11 – GCSE)
Students can choose to study Art & Design as one of their option choices.
Are there any enrichment opportunities / visits or trips?
Students who participate in the Arts Bronze Award will visit the theatre and create a portfolio of work
What careers might this lead to?
Designers and graphic designers, architect, animators and illustrators, teaching, art therapy, visual merchandising.
Useful website links:
Frog exam revision PowerPoints are in the Art Department website-Resources-year 7 and year 8