Students can choose GCSE Dance as one of their options at KS4
What will I study as part of GCSE Dance?
- Appreciate different forms of stimuli to create a dance
- Look at the historical and social context of dance
- Develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to perform, choreograph and analyse a range of dance styles
- Identify musical structures to aid choreography
- Explain how costumes, lighting and set can enhance a performance
- Decision making
- Critical and creative thinking
- Aesthetic sensitivity
- Choreographing original work
- Performance skills
- Oral communication
- Written communication
- Research techniques
- Evaluation skills
How will I learn this?
- Work and co-operate with others
- In both practical and theory lessons
- Taking part in dance workshops with guest performers
- Going on trips to watch professional danceworks
- Performing to different audiences.
What is the exam format?
Component 1: Performance and Choreography
- Set phrases through a solo performance
- Duet/trio performance
- Solo or group own choreography
Component 2: Dance Appreciation Theory
Written exam 1 hour 30 mins (40%)
Short answer and extended writing questions
- Knowledge and understanding of choreographic process and performing skills
- Critical appreciation of own work and 8 set professional works in the GCSE Dance Anthology
Exam Board : AQA
Are there any enrichment opportunities / visits or trips?
GCSE Dance students will visit professional dance works
What careers might this lead to?
Students interested in Dance may like to consider careers in performance, teaching, fitness or other areas of the performing Arts.